1. I said, I will take heed to my ways, that I sin not with my tongue: I will keep my mouth with a bridle, while the wicked is before me.
2. I was dumb with silence, I held my peace, [even] from good; and my sorrow was stirred.
3. My heart was hot within me, while I was musing the fire burned: [then] spake I with my tongue,
4. LORD, make me to know mine end, and the measure of my days, what it [is; that] I may know how frail I [am].
5. Behold, thou hast made my days [as] an handbreadth; and mine age [is] as nothing before thee: verily every man at his best state [is] altogether vanity. Selah.
6. Surely every man walketh in a vain shew: surely they are disquieted in vain: he heapeth up [riches], and knoweth not who shall gather them.
7. And now, Lord, what wait I for? my hope [is] in thee.
8. Deliver me from all my transgressions: make me not the reproach of the foolish.
9. I was dumb, I opened not my mouth; because thou didst [it].
10. Remove thy stroke away from me: I am consumed by the blow of thine hand.
11. When thou with rebukes dost correct man for iniquity, thou makest his beauty to consume away like a moth: surely every man [is] vanity. Selah.
12. Hear my prayer, O LORD, and give ear unto my cry; hold not thy peace at my tears: for I [am] a stranger with thee, [and] a sojourner, as all my fathers [were].
13. O spare me, that I may recover strength, before I go hence, and be no more.
List of chapters