1. Hear this, all [ye] people; give ear, all [ye] inhabitants of the world:
2. Both low and high, rich and poor, together.
3. My mouth shall speak of wisdom; and the meditation of my heart [shall be] of understanding.
4. I will incline mine ear to a parable: I will open my dark saying upon the harp.
5. Wherefore should I fear in the days of evil, [when] the iniquity of my heels shall compass me about?
6. They that trust in their wealth, and boast themselves in the multitude of their riches;
7. None [of them] can by any means redeem his brother, nor give to God a ransom for him:
8. (For the redemption of their soul [is] precious, and it ceaseth for ever:)
9. That he should still live for ever, [and] not see corruption.
10. For he seeth [that] wise men die, likewise the fool and the brutish person perish, and leave their wealth to others.
11. Their inward thought [is, that] their houses [shall continue] for ever, [and] their dwelling places to all generations; they call [their] lands after their own names.
12. Nevertheless man [being] in honour abideth not: he is like the beasts [that] perish.
13. This their way [is] their folly: yet their posterity approve their sayings. Selah.
14. Like sheep they are laid in the grave; death shall feed on them; and the upright shall have dominion over them in the morning; and their beauty shall consume in the grave from their dwelling.
15. But God will redeem my soul from the power of the grave: for he shall receive me. Selah.
16. Be not thou afraid when one is made rich, when the glory of his house is increased;
17. For when he dieth he shall carry nothing away: his glory shall not descend after him.
18. Though while he lived he blessed his soul: and [men] will praise thee, when thou doest well to thyself.
19. He shall go to the generation of his fathers; they shall never see light.
20. Man [that is] in honour, and understandeth not, is like the beasts [that] perish.
List of chapters